Make the summer camp tax deductible!

1 min read

“Summertime, and the living is easy"...  

While children are excited for a three-month break from school, a summer break can cause panic and anxiety in parents. But then comes the blessed time of summer camp, when peace is restored for at least a few days.

- There’s just that one thing – the price tag

Fortunately, some parents might be able to claim some of those expenses on their tax return.  Child Care Credit allows families to claim up to 35% of qualifying expenses – or up to $3,000 for one child or dependent, and up to $6,000 for two or more children.

Tips on claiming child care expenses 

  • The child must be under 13 years old (or any age for disabled child)

  • Parents claiming credit must be working. This credit was established so working parents (or those actively looking for work) can have their children cared for during the day. Therefore, if you are married filing jointly, both parents must be working to qualify for the credit.

  • Only day camps count; sleep away camps are not allowed.The cost of sending your child to an overnight camp is not considered a work-related expense for purposes of the credit. That said, the type of day camp, in terms of the credit, is irrelevant – sports, arts, music or back-to-the-land nature camps all qualify.

  • Payments must be made to a qualified childcare provider.  Qualified providers include daycare centers, summer camps & babysitters.

  • You must provide the name, address and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) of the person who provided the care. The taxpayer ID number is either a Social Security number (SSN) or an Employer Identification Number (EIN).

  • Camping supplies are not deductible.Whether it's sports gear, clothes or pencils. These items cannot be taken as deductions or counted towards the credit.

  • Childcare expenses, that qualify:

    • Costs related to before- and after-school care for children under 13.

    • Costs related to a nurse, home care provider, or other care provider for a disabled dependent.

    • Getting-ready for camp costs, such as physicals, shots (vaccines and immunizations) and fees for doctors to complete forms for camp.

Joanna Dratwa-Naruszewicz

Accountant and Tax Preparer

(t) (847) 221-8283